Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Tale of the Turkey Tetrazzini

OK friends, I am sorry I didn't take a picture of this meal. It did turn out great. I will make it again and then add the picture if I think of it. I got a new recipe book at Christmas (I bought it for myself at a scholastic book fair). And everything in that book looks fantastic. I really wanted to try the turkey tetrazzini but I didn't have any turkey. At the store (late one night this week) I found a fresh turkey breast on sale (that needed to be cooked by the next day) and snagged it. Got up early, made the turkey breast and took all the meat off. I boiled down the "bird" to make stock and got some more meat off for soup (that is now frozen for another time). I froze about half of the breast meat for anther meal, and took the rest to make the turkey tetrazzini. Being the homeschooling mom that I am, I took this as an opportunity to show the girls that math really is needed. I told them that the turkey was about $12 (I rounded up) and if I made 3 meals out of it, how much was each meal going to cost. Tally quickly figured out $4 each. And then I said, what if I didn't boil it down and make soup, I would have only gotten 2 meals out of it. The she figured out $6 for each meal. I also took this as a chance to show them that nothing creepy was going into this dish. Basically turkey, noodles, sauce and cheese. I think they are more likely to eat "new" foods if I show them it is all safe.

All that to say...here is the version of the recipe that we made the other night (with my tweaks to it).

1 - 2 1/2 cups of cooked turkey (or chicken) diced
1 T minced dried onions
1/4 t tabasco
1/4 t marjoram
1 (10 oz) can cream chicken soup
1 (13 oz) can evaporated milk
1 (8 oz) package spaghetti -
broken and cooked according to package
4 0z cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese


Combine the turkey, onions, tabasco, marjoram, soup and milk and mix well. Divide the cooked noodles into 3 parts. Cover bottom of 9 x 13 greased dish with 1/2 of the noodles. Then add half of the turkey mixture. Then add half the cheddar cheese. Repeat - noodles, turkey mix, cheese, then we added the parmesan cheese. We covered ours with foil so the noodles wouldn't dry out. Cooked between 30-45 min. at 400. (I might have done 350 because I think my oven is a little hot). Let it stand for 10 before serving.

I served mine with cesar salad and green beans. I seriously had to step away from this meal...yummy...or I would have finished the turkey tetrazzini right out of the dish.

7 comments:

Tim and Susan said...

Glad your new recipe turned out. Yum. It does sound good. I love getting caserole style meals ready earlier in the day too and then just popping them in the oven late afternoon when you are tired and busy.

Never heard of margarom...I'll have to look it up o-line.

Cheryl said...

yum... thanks! this just sounds great even without a picture!

K-Sue said...

Sounds yummy. I've made tetrazzini using chicken a few times. My recipe is more complicated, includes pimientos, instead of soup you make your own cream sauce - oh, no, more dirty pans! - , and it is delicious, but I think I'll try yours soon.

12-arrows said...

This is too funny because that is exactly what I am making for dinner tonight. I got the receipe from a friend of mine who is an unbelievable cook! Its easy, quick and oh so yummy!

Lee and Bev said...

Hey - good for you! Sounds like it turned out great! More next week? Hmmm!

Jen said...

Sounds yummy - I might have to try that recipe!

mommy g said...

Ok, I made this last night...VERY YUMMY and accepted by all small people at the table. Even the big people gobbled it up! Thanks, Cris.