Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Salad tossed in our Goldfish container

We are trying to figure out and make do with what we have access too. I have already bummed some basics off my very sweet new friends here. We only had 2 mugs and the girls wanted hot cocoa, so I ended up borrowing 2 more mugs so they don't have to wait while I finish my coffee on those chilly mornings. And we did end up borrowing a colander so I could strain some pasta (didn't even think about how to do that until AFTER the pasta was made). I also got a pot with a lid so I can heat soup or boil water. If you haven't already figured it out, ALL of our things are packed away and are waiting until we actually move into our home before we unpack. So...it has been a little interesting on making do with what we have.

Every meal is off of paper plates. And yes I feel guilty in that (goes against the reduce, reuse, recycle idea of me being a tree hugger). We are using plastic ware (plastic silverware sounds too much of an oxymoron). And most of our meals are sandwiches (doesn't take any thing to prep that kind of a meal).

Trying to mix it up a bit I picked up a great salad kit at Trader Joe's the other day. We had sampled it at the store and it was fantastic. Spinach with pecans and blue cheese. Yum-o. I was ready to toss it up for dinner and then I realized...I have nothing to put it in. No large bowl. Not a big pot. Nothing. Then I spotted a air tight plastic container that has goldfish crackers in it. That seemed to be the best bet, so I cleaned it out and tossed our tasty salad in that Rubbermaid container. I wasn't sure it would all fit but it did. And with the lid, tossing it with the dressing was pretty easy. Actually a lot easier than in a bowl with tongs.
It has been the adventure, none the less. Living a very minimalistic lifestyle. It kind of makes me wonder...do we really need all that stuff that is packed in the garage?

13 comments:

Christy said...

Run over to the Dollar Store and pick-up a few plates...then you can reuse them for crafts...like to put paint or glue on when the girls need them. That way you are reusing and for only a couple of bucks!

K-Sue said...

I can so see myself cooking up a big pot of pasta and then realizing I would have to improvise a strainer.

Do you have access to a microwave? I get tired of sandwiches pretty quick. When we first moved here and did not have a stove for awhile I would sometimes buy little microwavable veggies (like "Steamfresh"), baking potatoes or sweet taters to microwave, and either microwavable entrees from Hormel, Tyson, or Publix, or a rotisserie chicken, and Voila! a full meal.

Also if I were near you now I would lend you my electric skillet and a crockpot. You can do so many full meat and veggies meals with those.

Now I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

From the title of your post, I thought you made a salad in a goldfish bowl, like an actual fishbowl! Boy, I'm glad to be proven wrong! By the way, I'm very impressed. It looks as if you snapped the picture with the spinach in mid-air. Aren't you clever!

I know you're not loving the way things are right now, but I guarantee you'll laugh about this one day, when you remember or read your old blog posts.

Crystal said...

Interesting thought, do we need all the stuff in our basement and various closets? That is making me think, I am ready to become a minimalist! I can at least donate all our unsed kids' clothes and toys, right. Good post, I am praying you are alot more settled real soon!

Rachael said...

I thought the same thing: you made salad in a fishbowl! I was so relieved when I read the post that it was not true! lol.

Randi Sue said...

I am relieved that it was goldfish crackers and not the real thing!

Annie said...

I really feel that way whenever we go to Russia. For one thing, Russians live so simply in comparison, and while there WE are living simply - with just a suitcase or two. I also find myself wondering - apart from collecting the kids - why go home? It is good to feel "light".

DebiH. said...

I always feel like tht when we return from a trip in the RV. We live in very little space with very little stuff and for the most part, it is fine. A bit more space would be nice but I don't miss most of the stuff.

Anonymous said...

Wow. And I thought I it was tough here. Yikes. Seems like you are dealing with it in stride though!

Cindy said...

you are so funny-like Randi Sue I'm glad it was only goldfish crackers! I was thinkng a goldfish bowl. You are so funny!

Go check out my blog-I left an award for you!

Julie said...

I,too, thought you meant a fishbowl!!

Tim and Susan said...

I love fancy spinach salad!! and lately I sneak spinach into the kids regular salad all the time and we are all used to it.

Tim and Susan said...

Sorry it has been so hard living out of your suitcase...just think how you will LOVE being settled in your own home with your own kitchen.