Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Symphony

We had the opportunity to join a homeschool group here to go to the "local" symphony this morning. It turned out to be a fantastic event. The girls had never been to something like this before and I wasn't sure how much they would actually enjoy it. The concert was Lemony Snicket's "The Composer is Dead". Even from the name, I thought that Tissy would be scared or nervous. The idea of it is to "introduce" the different instruments (kind of like going to see Peter and the Wolf when we were kids).

Music is something that we haven't ventured into all that much and I do feel a little convicted about that. Maybe our time today will catapult us into that arena. We had studied the science part of instruments this year and learned all about sound and movement (HERE). And then to refresh their minds we filled in a few sheets that I downloaded from Enchanted Learning (HERE) that categorized the instruments in groups.

The concert was FANTASTIC. It was funny and interesting and extremely entertaining. I am so glad we took the chance to check it out. To top it all off, it was FREE. Note to self, take advantage of the opportunities around and widen our world.

Only bummer was...I ran out of battery on my camera and you can't take pictures in the concert hall. So I had to borrow some online.
The girls were really impressed with how fancy the concert hall is. Oh...I am so glad we live here!!!!

6 comments:

Chuck Peters said...

I'm SO glad you went and had a good time!!! I can't wait to hear more about it!

Christy said...

What an neat way to meet the local homeschoolers and enjoy different music! I really enjoyed doing things like this with my mom when I was growing up!

Cindy said...

Very cool! did you used to go with Julie and her group when you guys were in FL? I'm experimenting this weekend with a free opera for kids of "The Three Little Pigs". I thought it would be interesting!

Lee and Bev said...

How wonderful to have such educational entertainment and for FREE! Thank you, Lord!

junglemama said...

How fun! What a neat thing to attend!

K-Sue said...

Sounds like fun. I feel like I have let so many free or very cheap entertainment and learning opportunities go by, but we stay home and do school so sketchily as it is. Do you think sketchily is a word? If I know what it means, doesn't that make it a word? I suppose only...sketchily.

I may be drawing - closer - toward - blogdom. There must be a better place to put goofy thoughts like the above than in an innocent friend's comment section.