Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Don't you love retro toys?













Like I mentioned in my last post my kids have been playing with the Little People toys for a few days. I find it so interesting how many cycles the toys go through. They will be into Barbies then My Little Pony, then American Girl dolls, then coloring, then Lincoln Logs...you get the idea. Right now it is Little People. I always loved playing with Little People. In fact it is one of the only things I kept from my childhood. My Mom has kept them at her place as something for the kids to play with when we were there playing. I started wondering if they were in the garage and viola, they were.






Once I got them out the girls were so thrilled. They thought they were sooooo cool. I was showing them how I used to place all the pieces and how it all works. They kept saying, "Your toys are so cool Mom!!!" I kind of think they are pretty cool too. I had the town, the school house (still in a box in the garage), the hospital, and I have lost the yacht.

I think the girls plan on keeping their LP toys so their kids can enjoy them too. I know I am not the only one out there who used to have these and spent many an hour enjoying them.


It is fun to see how these toys have changed over the years. Still, I think they are a classic.

14 comments:

Cindy said...

I know exactly what you mean...my mom saved all my old toys and now my son, Tucker who is 6, thinks it's great to go "shopping" in her attic! A couple of weekends ago, he came home with my Little People Airport and camper set (which I must have gotten at the end of playing with that sort of stuff because it was still in the original box!) He also took home a Matchbox garage! (I played with both boy and girl stuff!) As matter of fact, as I write this, he's on my bed playing with the airport!

Rachel said...

I love it! And I love that your children, like mine, play with their imagination!

My mom kept my old boardgames and that is one favorite of ours.

Tiffany said...

I had the schoolhouse and the hospital and I loved it! That is cool that your mom saved your old toys. Everytime I get rid of something I always think--should I save this for my kid's kids. Then I decide not to because we just don't have the space. This post makes me wonder again, should I start saving?

Christy said...

Around here it's the Thomas the Tank Engine. It seems to have lasted thru all the boys and never dies. I think the people from the Little People set would end up becoming casualties of war.

Lee and Bev said...

I can still see that "yacht" somewhere - maybe it is in a box. Since we saved so little - glad you have these. Ahh! Sweet Memories! I too commend you for your girls creativity!

Randi Sue said...

I loved little people, too. The old playsets seem so much more interesting than the new ones. I don't know why.

~S~~~~~ said...

I totally remember playing with those when I was a kid. They are so much fun!! Unfortunately I think my mom got rid of mine..or they are somewhere in the black hole my parents call their garage. haha!
Must love imagination!

Ginny said...

Oh man, I wish I still had my little people! I only had the house, you know the brown and white one that opened up-but I really loved it. I vaguely remember some sort of merry go round thing too...

Sarah said...

I do. I really do. I love it when I come across something on ebay or on a blog, or in a garage sale that I had completely forgotten about. The memories flood back. It's fun!

Smith Schoolhouse said...

OK, I bet these are worth some money! THey are in such good condition. Our family loves LP too BUT my dumb dog likes to eat them! So, we won't be collectors, of full sets anyway.

Crystal said...

I love classic toys!!! I can hear the cow mooing as you open the barn door as I type this : )

K-Sue said...

I musta missed the whole Little People thing - maybe it was after my time?

My last baby doll, Sally, was my daughter's first baby doll. She is in her room now, and when I pick her up and snuggle her, she still hugs good!

junglemama said...

They are great and sturdy!

Tim and Susan said...

We just came across the boat for the Little People. We don't have any little people to go with it though. Maybe we should add it to your collection. Totally brings back fun memories, huh?