Wednesday, May 20, 2009
I am getting ready for a party that we are throwing on Sunday (oh...it should be a hoot of a party) and I wanted to make some decorations. I have wanted to make these flag banners for awhile and thought I would take this opportunity to give it a try.
1. I bought a yard each of 5 different materials. Picking ones that look good together - like you would for colors for a quilt.
2. Take the yard of material and fold it so there are 4 layers before you begin cutting.
3. Make a template in the shape of a triangle and trace onto the fabric, alternating directions to make a zig zag pattern.
4. Cut the triangle shapes with pinking shears so no sewing is needed to prevent ends of fabric from unraveling.
5. Fold and iron over the tops of the flag in order to make a flap to attach the twine to the flag.
6. I decided to staple instead of sew (I had a LOT of these to make and stapling turned out just fine) the flag onto the twine.
7. Continue the pattern in order to make cute banners for decorations for party.
I have 20 flags on each strand of twine. And my 5 yards total of fabric made quite a few of these. The material will go farther if you have fabric that looks good on either side. How cute are these???? I just love them. This may be my new way of decorating for parties. =) And like I said before, it is the YEAR OF CELEBRATIONS.
Posted by crispy at 9:12 AM