Monday, May 4, 2009

longing for the country



There is something inside of me that longs for the country. I do believe I have created this image in my head that living in the country is peaceful and beautiful and simple living. I think I might forget about the hard work and the sore muscles and fighting the weather and elements. But alas...I still long for the country.

Since I can't have that kind of country life right now, I found a way to live it out through someone else. I found a farm share produce co-op where along with your financial investment, we will also go and work on the farm to keep the costs down. We will go and work as a family to pack the produce and also take our turn in handing it out when others come to pick it up at our designated location.

Just a few weekends ago, we were invited to come to the crop share open house and meet the family that owns the farm, see where our food will be grown and enjoy some good old fashion fellowship.

I often find myself taking a chance on these kinds of situations, not going on someones known suggestions, just hoping for the best. We drove about 45 min. away and finally found this quaint family farm and were greeted by such tender people. These are amazing people and the farm is only the beginning of all that they do. They also host a tutorial style school on Wednesdays in an out building where the kids get to explore the world of hands on learning that focuses on art and writing and nature. They also host some summer camps where young ladies and men can learn life skills of homemaking and carpentry. Not to mention the Pioneer and Harvest Days that take place in the fall.

I am trying to find money in our budget to take advantage of much of their opportunities. I was incredible impressed with this sweet christian family and look forward to getting to know them better and living our country dream through them for now.

19 comments:

Smith Schoolhouse said...

that is such a great opportunity! Look forward to hearing more about it.

Tim and Susan said...

Sounds and looks like a really fun place...hey, the best of both worlds. So glad you can have your farm fix! The girls look too cute and too country in those two hats.

Ginny said...

That is a really neat sounding coop. I am so glad you found it!

Elle J said...

You described my "longing" perfectly too. :) And the farm you found looks amazing with opportunity. Sigh. Wish it were in my neck of the woods. :) ENJOY and can't wait to read more posts about your farm adventures.

Julie said...

That is so neat. I, too, look forward to hearing more about it.

Sandee said...

What an awesome idea. For that family to do, but also to get your country "fix" and connection. I wonder if there is anything like that around our neck of the woods.

Lea Whittaker said...

This sounds great! We will have to find out more how your experience goes and maybe join in next time. What a neat opportunity and learning experience for the girls.

steffany said...

How wonderful. What a great opportunity for your family.

Every time my heart thinks out loud of farm life my son is quick to say, "Mom, you can live that dream when I go off to college- Have you fully thought about all the work involved mom."
Cracks me up every time

Cindy said...

What a great place to bring your girls! Those pics of the girls in their farm hats are adorable!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds awesome!

My Grandma is up visiting your state for a few months with family. She says it is WAY hotter where she is now than it is down here!

Marilyn said...

Sounds like my childhood! (I'm the grandma..everybody.) So glad you found a fun & productive family project. I know Tally loves those chickens! I used to love digging for potatoes & pulling up root vegetables. You never knew how much you would pull up. Shelling peas was fun also. The weeding I could have done without.

How about fruit trees...are they included? You may have to freeze some blackberries for when I come to see you. Since you and I are both fond of blackberry cobbler! Hugs

fitncrafty said...

Love this...
You have settled in so quick! It's admirable!

I nominated you for the lemonade stand award! Thanks for sharing with us all!

Randi Sue said...

Exciting!

A Girl, her God, and a Gift! said...

It amazes me how many opportunities you find in your area... how do you do it?

Jen said...

Longing for the country - sounds familiar. :)

What a neat opportunity you have discovered! God is so good to not let our desires go unfulfilled. I will be interested to see more photos and hear more stories of this co-op.

Melissa said...

I've discovered, now that we're down on the farm, that I'm really a farm girl at heart. I was sorely disappointed last night to discover that no. 2 son has tipped out my bucket of compost "tea" (to feed the garden), thinking it was a bucket of mud. I look forward to hearing of your farm adventures.

Tonya said...

WOW! That sounds REALLY NEAT! I don't think I've ever heard of a farm share produce co-op... sounds like a GREAT idea, though!

We'll be doing gardening again this year.. I'm hoping the boys will learn to love all of the veggies and fruit we'll be growing.

Now, about your tree.. that's really sad. We lost about half of one that was near our house a few years ago. (We live up on a hill and the ONLY one next to our house) We too were VERY SAD to see it go, but with HALF of it gone there really was no way to save it. There is a happy ending I suppose. A friend came and ground the stump and since then we've planted several around our home. Trees do add so much beauty, don't they? ☺

Okay, I've rambled enough for one day... ha! I hope you guys have a GREAT week!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a great thing to be apart of. I too long for the country.

K-Sue said...

You have found a way to have some farm livin'! Sounds like fun.

And, yes it's not so much fun during summer vacation when Mama awakens you with, "Get up! The butterbeans are ready to be picked!" We had acres and acres of garden - including one that curved where you could not see the end of the rows. BUT WE ATE GOOD!