Wednesday, October 21, 2009

History Fair


We participated in a history fair with the local homeschool group today. It turned out to be really neat to see the displays that the kids and moms worked on to share what they have been studying in history. I loved the varied ages of kids and topics.

I loved how the children wanted to share what they had learned. I loved that the students were able to interact with each other and socialize.

I loved that families came to check it out, even if they didn't have anything to present. I loved that the moms were able to visit and connect. I loved that I came away inspired by these other homeschool families. I loved that some dads were there to support their kids.

I resisted the urge to drop out of this because we were not able to spend more time on our display. My pride wanted it to be better. But I knew that I would be taking away from the opportunity for my kids to be part of something neat. God is working on me and humbling me in many ways. I am thankful that we threw something together quickly and participated with what we had. It really was a blessing of a day.

8 comments:

Elle J said...

Fun how God puts others in your path right when you are dealing with the same issues. =)

K-Sue said...

It's a giant lapbook! Looks good to me. Congrats, girls.

Anonymous said...

Great job. And do a spy a SOTW Nile River craft??? Too cool! What a great opportunity. Glad you guys had fun.

Julie said...

Looks like so much fun! Great job girls!

Tim and Susan said...

I heard someone say, "It's better to do it poorly, than not at all" (not that your board looked poor, it looked great!). It's just to combat that idea that we are used to hearing, "It's better done well or not at all" which can really limit us...

Good job and glad it was a blessing. Glad God is teaching you too.

Julie said...

Hi,

I just found your blog and wanted to say Hi. Good job for going to the home school fair and not worrying about it being perfect. This is something I wrestle with also.

I home school also and our family is waiting for a court date for our two Ethiopian children. I look forward to following your journey.

Blessings,
Julie

Tonya Lee said...

That history fair made my entire week! I was amazed at how the kids wanted to learn from each other! I adored getting to hang out with moms who I want to learn with too! Glad you were 1 of them :)

Salzwedel Family said...

You always inspire me with the great projects you do for homeschooling. I am always impressed!