Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bookmarks from food boxes


We have a collection in our home of home made bookmarks cut from food boxes. I have to give Chuck the credit for these creative little things. Though we try not to eat a lot of junk, there are times we get items at the grocery store as a treat for the kids when the are on sale (like fruit chews for example). When we get those kinds of kid treats, we always check out the box and find where we can cut out a cute bookmark. Some ideas are boxed cereal, granola bars, fruit chews, frozen waffles, snack cakes or graham crackers or gold fish crackers.


It is great to have bookmarks that are "OK" if you loose them. The card stock/cardboard seems to be just the right thickness for a bookmark. Just look for cute or creative or colorful patterns on boxes of cereal, or frozen food products or even from a box of tea (sleepy time bear). We have even cut them from the cover of coloring books or workbooks for school. We keep them in a bag in a desk drawer and we are always grabbing a new one when we start a new book (I have passed on the habit of reading more than one book at a time to my kids...at least they are readers).

15 comments:

Lee and Bev said...

You know how I admire the creativity of all your family! How God has blessed and gifted you! Bless you all today!

Major Mom said...

Where do you get those awesome ideas?? I love this!!

Anonymous said...

Great idea!!!

Tim and Susan said...

I saw your collection when I was there. Very cute!! We are always hunting for bookmarks...usually I am grabbying a reciept or post-it-note...not nearly as fun as snoopy or barbie. We'll have to start searching for cute box labels.

Julie said...

What a clever idea! We usually take a lot of free bookmarks from the library, but often I still end up turning the corner of the page over because I can't find a book mark.

DebiH. said...

I recenty saw an idea to use cereal box fronts to make puzzles. Just cutting up the front into pieces. I have been planning to try that for my little guy. Bookmarks are a fun idea!

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

"I" can even handle doing this craft with my boys. Doesn't require too much planning. Thank you!

KIDMO said...

I love the ones you mounted on colored card stock. They look super cool. I like making them too... it makes finishing a box an extra special event. =)

KIDMO said...

I love the ones you mounted on colored card stock. They look super cool. I like making them too... it makes finishing a box an extra special event. =)

Christy said...

What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing. When will you be up this way again?

Melissa said...

I always save the tear-off rectangle from the top of Kleenex to use as a bookmark. Great idea to use cut-outs from other boxes - since I don't buy as much Kleenex anymore.

Cindy said...

Great idea! I usually just take the Box Top (fundraiser for Tucker's school) and toss it in the recycling! I always end up folding down the corner and then feel guilty because it's a library book!

Crystal said...

I love this idea!!!!! We are huge readers in our family and this will work great!!!!

Sarah said...

What a fabulous idea. My daughter would love this!

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

We did this! Everyone loved their home made gift from my boys. William, my oldest particularly liked it. He's usual thinks things like this are to mushy. You know he likes weapons and xbox. He thought of some funny things to cut up. Photos of our project is another update I should do soon. LOL.