Sunday, November 2, 2008

What are we going to do with all this candy???




I am glad Chuck is home this weekend so we can off load some of this candy onto him. I am really not sure what to do with it all. (I will never let them eat it all). The girls did have a fun time trick or treating and the next morning activity found them sorting the candy. They dumped it all into a common container right off the bat so it became "family property" (they always would ask first before they take a piece).

The sorting was too cute. Had to get a picture. Grouping like candies together.

Then I had to scan the list. I just thought it was cute to take an inventory of the candy.
Aside from sorting the candy (sounds like a math game to me), the girls also made towers out of it. Kind of like building blocks. We also reuse our candy when we make our gingerbread house at Christmas time. We save the candy and decorate the house with it. A great way to USE it with out having to EAT it. There is NO WAY I would let my kids eat all that SUGAR. Tough Mommy kicks in and doesn't let them eat it all. The sticky candy is bad for their teeth and the sugar is just not good in general.


We have always given out toys and treats for trick or treating. (Don't need more candy for me to say NO to). I have ordered things from oriental trading and then I save any extra "happy meal" style toy or birthday goody bag toy for my treat basket (pencils, stickers, rings, trinkets). It is a great way to recycle those toys. I also use that same treasure basket for treats for kids when I tutor. I am all about this kind of "re-gifting".


******************************************************
On a totally different note, we are showing the house again this morning. One of these times it will follow with a contract.

13 comments:

Lee and Bev said...

Hey girls! Save some of that candy for us! What fun going through all sorts of treats! Praying this morning for your "show"

Karen said...

Love the ideas for using the candy for the gingerbread house... my kids NEVER eat all the candy they get. We do love to mix the chocolate candy bars in with our icecream.. makes for a special treat.

I love the inventory list of candy!!!

Your girls look like a lot of fun!

Julie said...

Aside from using it for gingerbread houses, we also end up throwing a lot of our Halloween candy in parades (the kids are often in the Christmas parade with Theatre and the homeschool group is usually in the George Washington's birthday parade). We also sometimes use it in cookies, and sadly I eat a lot of it too!

Ginny said...

Hi Cris! I am not sure that I am going to continue to blog-but wanted you to know I am still checking in on you. I will post something at some point-and will definitey post when Bea is born. I managed to get out of Halloween this year-so no candy to give away or deal with! However, sorting candy looks kind of fun :)

Christy said...

I did the same thing with our candy, except it was leftovers that weren't given out (only one group of kids showed up - not dressed up, argh). Anyways, the candy is seperated and in baggies tucked away where hubby can't find it. :)

Love that they wrote down what they got and how many. Looks like a math problem in the making ... what percentage of twix did you get? What is the ratio of the baby ruth to the M&Ms ... see, I would be a good homeschool mommy!! :)

Annie said...

Some friends of ours always had a lovely Christmas Eve party where they invited families and had all the children make gingerbread houses with the Halloween candy. My kids had a great time, and the kids were busy (under the guidance of some teens) while adults could visit. We'd usually "forget" the Gingerbread House in the trunk until it could "disappear" (and not get eaten). One year my husband left them on a shelf in the garage. Sometime in February I commented that I'd never in my life seen such fat squirrels.... Not long after we discovered that the Gingerbread houses had DISAPPEARED...all the was left was the cardboard bases.....Hm... Lots of diabetic squirrels in our neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Nice assortment! Only from your development? My sweet tooth is aching. Enjoy.

Tiffany said...

I like the idea of saving it for a gingerbread house.
My girls have also had all their candy spread out and sorted. There's no way they can eat it all. I'll give them a few days before confiscating it!

Shaleen said...

Hey Cris, I was just talking to Julia about this. Since her birthday is coming up, I suggested that we use the Halloween candy for this years pinata. She did not agree. But I do have the girls keep their candy in the kitchen for monitoring. But, some pieces leap into the trash now & then. It's funny how they know exactly what they had. I really like the ginger bread house idea too.

Cheryl said...

I wish I had listened to you and not eaten as much as I did (we didn't have many kids come to the door). I've been doing pretty well (WW) but splurged some and feel so lethargic today! I know it's because of the junk sugar.

Tim and Susan said...

Too cute. Who needs toys when you have halloween candy, huh? We didn't pass out candy and didn't trick or treat...so not too much candy around to tempt us. We've been brushing our teeth extra though just to be safe. "Boooo" hiper kids and cavities!!!

Randi Sue said...

My kids love to sort their candy, too, and even made a graph one year.

Anonymous said...

I remember sorting candy....and making a list! too cute!

I am SO done with the candy here. Can chuck come eat some???