Monday, November 10, 2008

one of our favorite subjects



We actually have been doing art from that art site that I found a few weeks ago. I am pretty impressed with that art blog and I am also pretty (um...actually VERY) impressed that we have followed through with doing it. I find that we are always disciplined to get the 3 Rs done for school. No problem there. It is easy to drop the extras. And sure enough, it is the extra things that my kids love the most.
The best way for me to remember to follow through with doing these artsy projects is to save them as my background on my computer and then it is right there, staring me in the face as a "friendly reminder". And as a reference when we are ready to draw them. When there is a project we want to do, I click on the picture to make it larger then right click to save as background. I did order some pastels for the last of our supplies. A year ago I took my weekly coupon to the art store and picked up some basics to have on hand for when the moment strikes.
We use a flattened out cardboard box as our safe surface to paint on. SO much easier than newspaper. When we are done, you can even hide it behind the couch for next time.

10 comments:

Tim and Susan said...

Great and doable art class ideas. I am sure the girls love it. I am sure it is hard to get the extras in.

Cindy said...

Beauiful job!

Karen said...

Love the art work!! This too has been hard for me to add to the day or week of school. I feel like because my kids are home they are always working on some sort of art (for fun) so I let it slide. I know that when I have something planned they LOVE it!! I will check out the art site for ideas.
Great pictures girls!

Rachael said...

Ooh, thanks for the site tips! So many great projects. My kids will sit for hours and do art projects, so we will definitely try some of these. (Although usually they require no direction from me, which is the nice thing about art! :))

Kirsten said...

What beautiful artwork. Art is always my guys favorite and unfortunately we don't get to it enough. I also love the idea about the cardboard. I am going to try that also!
Kirsten

Rachel said...

Wow! Great job. I could talk about ALL the issues I have with my girls being in the public school system(to many for words actually) but one of the things I hate most is the lack of emphasis on related arts. Love this post! And the post-er!

fitncrafty said...

These are beautiful! Your girls are very talented! I am partial to purple and cats... so I am particularly drawn to it...
We are very lucky in my kids school that art is a big part of it, and that they have an amazing art teacher..not to mention, I love crafting myself so the kids get lots of that!

Chuck Peters said...

These girls of ours are great artists!!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

They look GREAT!!!

steffany said...

Thanks for introducing us to this site. love it!