Thursday, November 13, 2008

EASY (whole wheat) drop biscuits

I am trying to widen my repetoire of meal options. The truth is, I buy the same things at the grocery store each week and we tend to eat the same meals. Part of my dilema is that Chuck is not here to enjoy the food and the girls have a minimalistic way of eating. Seriously, 2 chicken nuggets is about all Tristen would eat (not that I ever serve those around here).

So I thought I would try some new things (my nephews are coming for Thanksgving and I can only imagine that 1/4 of a cup of dry cereal wont fill them up like it would for Tissy). Here is the easy recipe for drop biscuits.

2 Cups freshly milled flour (hard white)
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk

Mix together the dry ingredients, make a well in the middle. Combine oil and milk. Pour liquid into well and mix with the dry ingredients. Drop by scoop or spoon onto greased cookie sheet (or parchment paper). Bake at 425 for 10 min. Makes about 1 dozen.

This is the recipe from the Break Beckers book that I got with my mill. Because I am using fresh milled wheat, it has the added benefits of being a whole grain. While these were baking I cooked up some little sausage patties to go inside. Move over McDonald's sausage biscuit, same idea but better for you. Pretty hearty breakfast and very inexpensive. I think it would fill up any growing boy.

This morning, Tristen was my baking helper. We ended up making our biscuits big and only made 9 instead of 12. They were great for lunch with butter and jam.

Sorry my pictures are so fuzzy this time. Must have been poor lighting.

12 comments:

Tonya said...

I am going to have to try these. I am always looking for more breakfst ideas. I try to make things that will fill them up for a while not an hour or so. Sounds yummy!

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Looks easy enough!
I just got in on my first bulk order from Breadbeckers this quarter.

Tim and Susan said...

Don't stress about trying to feed us all. That is so sweet of you though. I love making drop bisquits...they are so fast and easy. Your breakfast sandwich looks yummy. We often make egg sandwhiches.

Ginny said...

We used to eat those bread beckers biscuits every single morning before I made Seth gluten free. I love them! They are also yummy if you add some honey, cinnamon, and raisins to the batter, and then put some not so healthy homemade vanilla frosting on top!
We just got our bulk order from BB too!

Christy said...

Funny you should write this since I have cranked out 4 loaves this week after too long of a break. Mark's request, by the way. We will try these this weekend- with butter of course.

Lee and Bev said...

Can hardly wait 'till we get there!

Julie said...

I'm going to try these. It should show me if it the yeast that is part of my bread problem.

Tonya said...

Can you use store bought flour?? I normally buy the 50/50 thanks for letting me know.

crispy said...

Hey Tonya,

Give the store bought flour a try. 50/50 is better than just white flour. You will have some of the benefits of the whole wheat (the bran).

I am sure they will turn out fine.

This recipe was just as easy as if I had dumped some bisquick in a bowl and made bisquick biscuits.

Chuck Peters said...

You're making me hungry for home cookin!!!! YUMMM!

Chuck Peters said...

I love this picture of Tis! It's my desktop photo at the moment. =)

Anonymous said...

YUM YUM YUM.