Monday, November 3, 2008

condensed soup

I have a bunch of thoughts swirling around in my head and I am not sure any one of them is really worth a blog post. So, I thought I would put them all together and let you add your can of water and see if it turns into anything.
****************************
I am back in the zone (if you follow our blog, you know what I mean).
****************************
There seems to be nothing worth watching on TV these days. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth even having one at all. Most of it is just junk (prime time TV seems to be the worst).
****************************
I am in a TOTAL food slump. I buy the same things at the grocery store each week and I am getting pretty tired of it. I was looking at some one's shopping carriage on Saturday as I was waiting to be helped at the deli and noticed everything in her carriage would never be in mine. Seriously, I would never choose to buy those things. I think I need to step out of my food box and try some new things.
****************************
Please, please, please VOTE. What a tremendous blessing to be in a country that we have the freedom to vote. Neither candidate may be your absolute favorite choice, but pray that God gives you the discernment to choose the better of the two to lead our country.
****************************
Our "lookers" on Sunday flaked out. Surprisingly that is the first time that has happened. We are still absolutely believing that God will provide the contract in His perfect timing. I am finding comfort in knowing that God never shows up late.
****************************
I am in the process of making Christmas gifts for the girls. We are not really buying things this year. Obviously money is tight and we thought it would be a great way to make the holiday special and stay in a tight budget. I can't wait to post pictures. So far, things are looking CUTE.


Well, looks like it turned into a lengthy post. Even though it is an odd assortment of info and thoughts.

15 comments:

DebiH. said...

I am anxious to see what you are making for Christmas!

Tim and Susan said...

Sorry about having to be back in the zone. Hope it isn't too hard to readjust to single parent life again. I already voted and have been praying all day, hopefully along with a lot of other concerned Americans. I always liked going through magazines to get recipe ideas, always helped get me out of food rut. Probably not making real meals for hubby isn't helping. Sorry your lookers didn't show. Bummer. love ya!

Randi Sue said...

I know what you mean about the food slump. Isn't it amazing that we can do that when have so many different kinds of foods at our disposal.

Randi Sue said...

I know what you mean about the food slump. Isn't it amazing that we can do that when have so many different kinds of foods at our disposal.

Tiffany said...

I could give you some great recipes that are delicious and easy. I have the opposite problem, I am always trying something new and when my kids ask for some meal that they loved I usually can't remember where I got the recipe from or what it was.

mommy g said...

Dearie, your strength through Christ is an inspiration to us all.

Lee and Bev said...

We've been trying more and different fruits and vegetables - eating most of them raw. Working hard on a healthy diet. Uggh - not always easy! Fast, canned, snacky, prepared, packaged foods are all so much easier - but have much more of the bad stuff in them. There are a couple of aisles in the market that I usually bypass - spending more time in the produce section. It seems more expensive - but I know it is better for us.

Chuck Peters said...

Sorry you feel like you're in a food slump! My solution has been to go minimalist... tortillas & cheese slices dipped in BBQ sauce and canned veggies... not very realistic for you & the girls... but it's working for me. I can't justify spending $3 a meal just for myself. $10 a day seems like a lot of money for just 1 person.

Hard to believe that we can have so many channels & nothing to watch isn't it? Just goes to show how quality, not quantity, is what counts. When we were little we used to have just 3 channels and shows had to compete to get time slots, so they tended to be the "best" of what was being made. -- Today there are hundreds of channels & we have more time slots than we have *good* shows to fill them. Hmmm... Maybe I need to produce a show for broadcast... =)

Annie said...

Hope you saw I DID vote....but (of course) it didn't make any difference. :(

I think I am just childish enough to feel as though if my candidate doesn't win, that I was somehow cheated or tricked. I really feel personally misused. (As well as disturbed on a more adult level.)

I have noticed the SAME THING about other people's shopping carts. Sometimes I can't believe what people buy!!! Things I've never even NOTICED before, sometimes.

Annie said...

Chuck's somment about why TV is so bad is very interesting! I hadn't thought of it that way. I just know that I stumbled on an old 'Andy Griffith' the other day and was just amazed at the QUALITY of that program. The humor was really funny; the acting was charming; the story was meaningful; it was well done. Don't see that much anymore. The only television we watch is Masterpiece Theater and Mystery. That sounds snooty, but it's true...except for the little ones rarely watch cartoons and an occasional Hannah Montana. (Yuck)

BTW The recipes in Taste of Home are always just great and use "normal" ingredients and equipment. The title says it all. The recipes are good and "mix it up" a bit.

Ginny said...

I can't wait to see your homemade gifts!

K-Sue said...

The food slump is temporary; the TV slump may be permanent :) I'm with Annie on Masterpiece and Mystery, though we did not much enjoy the most recent one shown here.

After seeing Chuck's post, I think he may be in more of a food slump than you. Chuck! Make a salad! If you can warm up canned vegetables, grab a real sweet potato and either nuke it or boil it in it's jacket and toss some butter on it!

Julie said...

I liked Chuck's TV comment too, I was just telling my kids recently about us having 3 channels to watch when I was their age! 3 channels and there was always something good on!

KIDMO said...

I could share more of my insights on TV if you want...

I was always taught that there are 3 primary purposes of television content: 1) To Inform, 2) To Instruct and 3) To Entertain... purely from a "content" perspective, any show you watch on TV pretty much falls into one of these categories. -- However, as we have added so many channels, and thereby created such a great need for "more content," I believe that the motives of many television producers have shifted from focusing on the message and meaning of the program (remember when sitcoms used to have a moral at the end?) to focus instead on marketing and making money. This is what leads to the creation of content that's driven by shock and sleeze (like a lot of reality TV -- with a few notable exceptions). In an effort to create inexpensive programs (usually with no script and poor production quality) many producers have sold out. They no longer create "classics" with clever concepts and well-developed characters... that takes time, effort and incurs expense.. instead they push out poorly produced programs that exists only to capture as many viewers as possible to watch the ads of their sponsors. It's the devolution of television.

Which is really sad... because I've always loved television.

Rachael said...

Ha! I ALWAYS check out other people's food carts. I find it fascinating the things other people select. Mostly though, I wouldn't WANT to choose any of it! :)